Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Granddaddy

Twenty years ago today our family lost someone very special, my granddaddy, Donald Sayers. My memories of him are still so vivid it is hard for me to believe it has been that long. It doesn't seem possible. He was a wonderful man and loved his family so much. He loved taking pictures, nature, and especially watching birds. No bird that came into his yard ever left hungry! He also loved Bugs Bunny. My favorite memory of him is the two of us curled up on the couch together watching Bugs. I had my head laid on his chest and soaked up the wonderful smell of his Old Spice.

I think about all of the things that have happened since he's been gone. Our sweet Amber. He would be so proud of the beautiful young lady that she has become. We have been able to meet Tony. I can't describe how special that was for all of us. We now have our little Houston Rocker. After he was born it made me so happy to hear Vivian say he has Granddaddy's mouth. There have been huge changes in technology that would have fascinated him. He would have been so happy to see that you can now get more than three channels in Speedwell! And I can't even imagine what a kick he would get out of Grandma and her laptop computer! He would be cracking up at her hopping online and sending us emails.

Today we all remember this special man and what he meant to each of us. We all love and miss him as much as ever and that will never change. I have tears in my eyes but also a smile on my face because I know his memory is always with us and he will be in our hearts forever.

1 comment:

  1. What a very very sweet post. I'm so glad you shared it here. :)

    ReplyDelete